You are in World Architecture > Netherlands > Gemeente Sittard-Geleen > Geleen > Brother Klaus Field Chapel

Brother Klaus Field Chapel

contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 13 April 2009

 


Vote:
 | Rating:
(3468 votes)


Views: 16868

 

Description Brother Klaus Field Chapel:

The field chapel dedicated to Swiss Saint Nicholas von der Flüe (1417–1487), known as Brother Klaus, was commissioned by farmer Hermann-Josef Scheidtweiler and his wife Trudel and largely constructed by them, with the help of friends, acquaintances and craftsmen on one of their fields above the village.

The interior of the chapel room was formed out of 112 tree trunks, which were configured like a tent. In twentyfour working days, layer after layer of concrete, each layer 50 cm thick, was poured and rammed around the tentlike structure.



In the autumn of 2006, a special smouldering fire was kept burning for three weeks inside the log tent, after which time the tree trunks were dry and could easily be removed from the concrete shell. The chapel floor was covered with lead, which was melted on site in a crucible and manually ladled onto the floor. The bronze relief figure in the chapel is by sculptor Hans Josephsohn.

Photos by Pietro Savorelli & Walter Mair
Text: Peter Zumthor
Courtesy of The Pritzker Architecture Prize

 

Brother Klaus Field Chapel Brother Klaus Field Chapel Brother Klaus Field Chapel Brother Klaus Field Chapel Brother Klaus Field Chapel

Information Brother Klaus Field Chapel:

Project function:
Description tags:
Address: 
Eifel, Germany



Year end: 
2006


License: 
Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons


Comments to Brother Klaus Field Chapel:

in de Eifel of aan de Eifel....? ;)
commented by anonymous, 21 April 2009

Author:
anonymous  [login]


Comment on this project or add more information:

Please sign in or sign up first

Brother Klaus Field Chapel3032 Brother Klaus Field Chapel3033 Brother Klaus Field Chapel3034 Brother Klaus Field Chapel3035 Brother Klaus Field Chapel3036



URL

Embed