Projects by Peter Zumthor

Brother Klaus Field Chapel

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 13 April 2009
The field chapel dedicated to Swiss Saint Nicholas von der Flüe (1417–1487), known as Brother Klaus, was commissioned by farmer Hermann-Josef Scheidtweiler and his wife Trudel and largely...

Thermal Bath Vals

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
In 1983 the commune of Vals acquired the bankrupt hotel complex, built in the 1960s, for very little money, but without much enthusiasm. But something had to be done in order to rescue existing jobs....

Kunsthaus Bregenz, Vorarlberger Landesgalerie

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
The competition brief of 1989 called for a conventional provincial gallery. Step bystep, the special format of the house as a Kunsthalle evolved into a four-storey building.Administration, café and...

Kolumba Art Museum of the Cologne Archdiocese

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
The Art Museum of the Cologne Archdiocese was to be a “living museum”. It shows objects from its own permanent collection ranging from late antiquity to the present: Romanesque sculptures,...

Truog House Gugalun, Versam

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
Relatives of the present owner lived in and ran the small Gugalun farm in Arezen at the entrance to the Safien Valley. The small manor house looks north, facing the moon (luna), as the name of the...

Saint Benedict Chapel

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
In 1984 an avalanche destroyed the baroque chapel in front of the village of SognBenedetg (St. Benedict). A recently built parking lot had acted like a ramp pushing the snow from the avalanche up...

Zumthor Studio

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
In the early 1980s we were able to buy an old farmhouse with some land right next to the farmhouse in the Süsswinkel in Haldenstein which we had converted in 1971 into our family home....

Swiss Sound Box, Swiss Pavilion, Expo 2000

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
We called the Swiss Pavilion for the 2000 Hanover Expo “Klangkörper Schweiz”. Instead of showing theoretical or virtual information to promote Switzerland, our basic idea was to offer something...

Homes for Senior Citizens

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
The twenty-two flats of the residential development for the elderly in Masans nearChur are occupied by senior citizens still able to run their own households, but happy to use the services offered by...

Protective Housing for Roman Excavations

in Architecture by Peter Zumthor ()
  contributed by 56 Ethel Baraona Pohl, 14 April 2009
In the 4th century AD, Chur was the Roman capital of the province of Curia – hence the name “Chur”. The Romans inhabited the area now called the “Welschdörfli”(French-speaking Swiss...